Saturday, February 12, 2005

Sideways

Last week we went to see "Sideways," which just opened here. I thought it was a great movie; specifically, it was my kind of movie. (I can hardly believe the Academy liked it; we haven't agreed on a movie in years.) Intelligently written, with great performances, and a story that was funny and bittersweet. It managed to send up the snooty, pretentious side of wine, while fully expressing - in almost poetic terms - what afficianados find so genuinely worth their time and enthusiasm. And, in a feat I find most amazing, it made me care about two guys who were both, basically, assholes. Best of all, for such a pitch perfect mediatation on middle life disappointment, was its ending. Not sappy/happy, not dark and gloomy, but hopeful. Just the right note.

On a different note, we've been busily assembling the documents we need to submit our application for permanent residency. Some of Ali's jobs date back a while, to companies that no longer exist. But what fun would this be without a challenge? We also had to get our health certified, so Thursday we spent half a day at the doctor's office. They took chest x-rays, bodily fluids, and loads of measurements. I learned that I'm 164 cm tall, my weight in kilos sounds a lot better than it does in pounds, and that my blood pressure is about the same as always. If all goes well, we should be able to submit the application by my birthday and, hope against hope, it should be final in a few months.

Permanent residents have most of the same rights/privileges as citizens. (They can even vote!?!?) They also pay the very reasonable domestic student tuition rates at university. International students are charged more than triple. Since I should have PR before next term begins, from the doctor's office I went to the University and postponed my enrollment until next semester. I was really looking forward to starting school in a few weeks, but I was also expecting to have my PR before now. So, one step forward, one step . . .

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home