Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Don't Panic, Don't Despair

Just in time for the first day of spring, winter’s returned for an encore performance. Heavy snow in the South Island made the skiers happy, but vintners are holding their breath and praying the damage isn’t as bad as it looks. Auckland has been hit by torrential rain, gale-force winds, and hail, but the temp is just chilly, not actually freezing - Ali’s bitter complaints notwithstanding.

*****

“The stalemate deepened today, the day after an inconclusive national election result, as key party leaders rejected some of the coalition solutions that might otherwise lead to the formation of a new government and the selection of a national leader.”

“The phones are ringing hot and the minor party leaders are jostling for the title of kingmaker as the country prepares for a two-week wait to learn the shape of the next government.”

The first quote was from story about Germany; the second, about New Zealand. They could be applied interchangeably, however, since it seems like both countries had the same election. Anyone else notice how everywhere you look these days, elections seem to be getting closer, as voters seem to be moving farther apart?

*****

I’m beginning another class this week: International Commercial Contracts. It’s another intensive, where they squeeze an entire semester into five days. I’ve been reading the materials for it all day long and have barely made a dent. Not quite as broad and philosophical as the International Law and Imperialism course was but, fortunately, it’s pretty interesting anyway. And the best part is I can use a lot of it in the paper I’m (still) writing for my first class. I’ve really got to be efficient, since last week I was informed that the dates I’m giving three lectures in investment (aka securities) law will be in October, instead of November like I’d been assuming.

Wednesday morning: I woke from a dream that I was at a huge closing, there were literally thousands of documents that had to be reviewed. I was supposed to sign off on some environmental provisions - stuff I didn’t know anything about. Didn’t want to hold things up, but I didn’t want to be responsible for the next Bhopal either. Fortunately, just before I went into full panic mode, my friend Stephanie - and all her environmental expertise – appeared. (Looking fabulous in a very chic grey outfit, I may add). Saved my butt. And, as I write this, it occurs to me that Steph knows a lot about international commercial contracts, too.

*****

My favorite Katrina quote of the week came from Andrei Codrescu (Romanian writer, poet and sometime NPR commentator who lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana), in last Sunday’s NYT Magazine:

Do you think words can fairly describe such devastation?
"No. Even the greatest poets can't express tragedy in a way that is larger than their immediate circumstances. The best way to deal with it is to fry eggs for refugees."

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home