Sunday, June 11, 2006

Opus Interruptus

So, I got my extension, but am still trying to work diligently because I'd like to enjoy a day or two off before my next class starts. Despite my best efforts, however, the force is not with me today. Or, rather, the power is off.

A terrific storm knocked out a sub-station at 8:30 this morning, plunging half of Auckland into the dark - the half that includes the CBD, Parnell, and UoA.

Not knowing how extensive the outage was, I trudged up the hill in the driving rain. Fortunately, the building I work in was open - the entry door is electronic, but someone must have a physical key. I climbed the stairs to the 6th floor in the dark. (Total dark, no emergency lights.) Five minutes after I arrived, however, the Dean said there was no telling when the power would come back on so everyone should go home, the entire University was shutting down for the day.

By then the storm had cleared and the sun was shining (the weather is like that here), so Ali and I went for a walk. We got back home just as it started raining again. Made a pot of coffee and sat down to read when, what else, the power came on.

I trudged back up the hill again - all my research papers are in the office, so it's pretty useless to try to work at home. My key card got me in and the elevator whisked me upstairs. (The things we take for granted!)

I was at my desk by 3pm, got right to work and was able to . . . unfortunately, I'm not sure what I managed to do in the last 3-1/2 hours. Or, rather, what I'll be able to salvage. Before the power cut out again. Even though it came back on right away, and my computer is working. Except there's no connection to the network. Where my paper is. Yikes, what a day.

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home