Monday, October 23, 2006

"All the Sweet Green Icing Flowing Down . . . "

Friday was my last lecture, so I'm starting to breathe a lot easier. I've still got another week of Tuakana, and I'll have to mark exams in November, but otherwise I'm finished teaching for the year. Now I need to focus on trying to get published.

But not this weekend, it's Labour Day here. NZ was one of the first countries to adopt an 8 hour workday, over 150 years ago. Of course, the holiday forecast was for "rain, turning to showers, with occassional thunderstorms." And that's what we got. It feels like the world is melting. In some places, it is: they've had to close several highways because of 'slips' - kiwispeak for mudslides. Good weather for ducks, and for catching up on sleep, laundry, blogging, etc.

I keep hearing a loop of the soundtrack to NZ's spring in my head. Here Comes the Rain Again. Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. I Can't Stand the Rain. . . . You get the picture. Too bad we can't export it to Australia. Oz is having its worst drought in 100 years.

I miss Ali a lot. Today is 14 years since we met. We had a long distance relationship for a year then - Chicago to LA - without email or skype. By comparison, this is a piece of cake.

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home