Friday, March 09, 2007

Recalling the Blur that was February

I kept so busy when we were in Chicago that I missed posting for a whole month, so this is just a quick look back at what I was up to last month:

We moved into our new apartment on the 1st of the month - the first time I've ever moved house by taxi cab. We're now living on the 47th floor of a brand new building - we're the first people to live in our unit, and only the second people to move in on our floor.

We’re about 2 blocks northwest of our old apartment, and less than a block from a Dominick's grocery store that was just a rumor when we lived here before. Within easy walking distance are at least four more grocery stores, a hardware store, several house wares & furniture stores, tons of clothes shopping, restaurants & coffee shops, several movie theaters, a post office – there’s even a bowling alley across the street.

Ali started work on Feb. 5th, when the temperature was -12° F. He walked both ways (it’s only 30 minutes door to door), and not only didn't complain, but actually said, “It’s not that cold.” Spoken like a true Chicagoan.

The same week, I went to visit Career Services at the U of C Law School. I was surprised to realize I hadn’t been back since I graduated – 20 years ago. Less surprised that the law library was under construction – just like the last time I was there. The woman I met with was very positive about my job prospects and gave me the names of some headhunters to contact. During the next few weeks I started getting reacquainted with the job market in Chicago, met lots of old friends and former colleagues for lunches and dinners, and began preparing for the courses I’ll be teaching when I go back to NZ.

I also did a fair amount of shopping for the apartment, since all of our stuff was in a container somewhere on the Pacific ocean, heading for California. Our movers in NZ said they couldn’t re-route the shipment to Chicago since it had already left port, but to contact their agents in San Francisco.

Lastly, I had to make arrangements for my return to Auckland. I felt no enthusiasm about going to New Zealand this time, and procrastinated as long as possible. I finally did book a flight, of course, which would leave on my birthday, March 4th.

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home