Saturday, June 09, 2007

What Goes Around . . .

COMLAW 101 had their exam yesterday afternoon. When it became clear that the administrators were not willing to stay past 5 pm to count the exam papers so we could begin marking them, I joined a bunch of my colleagues for drinks. It never ceases to amaze me how an obviously well-educated bunch of people can be so comfortable with casual racisim and bigotry (aimed primarily, but not exclusively, at the Chinese). They justified kiwis' resentment by the sheer number of Chinese who've moved here in the last 10 years. And they justified their openness about their feelings by citing academic freedom, saying this university is a "PC-free zone." Despite the different circumstances, it reminded me of talk I'd hear growing up on Chicago's southwest side.

We finally got the exams early this afternoon: there are 737 papers to mark! Three problem questions, three essay questions, and 11 multiple choice. I’m marking a problem question that has two parts on fiduciary duties and trusts. It’s a tough course and a tough exam, and the second part of “my” question is particularly difficult. I was expecting the worst – that we’d have to make up an alternative basis for grading it – but several students have managed to ace it, so I’m off and running, er, marking. (I'm currently 50 down, 687 to go.)

A few weeks ago I had to write a couple exam questions for the Company Law class I’ve been teaching. I find writing exam questions weirdly fun: it’s a creative writing exercise that’s also a legal puzzle and a chance to indulge one’s taste for sadism. What’s not to like?

I was expecting to mark the questions I wrote, but the university scheduled the Company Law exam for June 20 – two days before I’m leaving. Since there are over 400 students in the class, I couldn’t possibly get it done in time. My ticket doesn’t allow changes so I couldn’t stay longer, but I was able to swap marking jobs with someone else who also teaches in both courses. (The other alternative, skipping out without doing my share of marking, would leave me in the same category as several former staff members who are not remembered fondly.)

I've been doing more than my share of office hours since my last tutorial on May 31st, but I like helping the students who are really trying to learn. I had the last Company Law tutorial of the week, Thursday at 4 pm, and it was always a big group. Students who’d missed their regular class earlier in the week tended to show up then, plus it seems I’d picked up some “fans” – students who came to my "tut" even though they were assigned to a different group. At the end of class a young Asian woman thanked me profusely for “acting like you care whether we get it or not.” Silly me, I thought that was the job.

My other “job” lately has been trying to get our documents in order for immigration. We recently became eligible for the kiwi equivalent of a permanent green card, but I’ve been getting a total run-around and conflicting stories about what’s required. Living here has definitely given me a whole new perspective on the immigrant debate in the U.S., and on immigration generally. It’s a terrible thing to be totally at the mercy of a bureaucrat - especially one with a taste for sadism.

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home