Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Backfilling

Time has slipped by me so fast that I’m way behind with blog updates, and it didn't help that the computer wasn't working for several weeks. Anyway, here’s a brief rundown of what I was up to in July:

On the 4th we drove to Santa Cruz for a picnic at Natural Bridges State Park with Ashish, Anjali, Mira and their friend from London. (The traffic and heat came as a real shock to my system after NZ.) We hung out at the boardwalk too long to make it to back up to SF for the fireworks there, so at dusk we stopped in El Granada where we watched multiple South Bay fireworks displays going off all at once - a nice welcome back to the US.

The next week we took a long weekend trip to Berlin for an Amiry family reunion. Even though we spent almost as much time traveling as we did on the ground, it was great to see everyone.

The week after that, Ali had to go to New Zealand to deal with the immigration bureaucracy. We’d become eligible for indefinite visas back in May, but the immigration people wouldn’t give them to me since Ali was the primary applicant. Wish they’d written their rules a bit more clearly so Ali could have scheduled the trip to come for my graduation. Ah well, we'll know better next time. (Huh?)

While Ali was gone I found a yoga studio in Palo Alto and tried Bikram yoga for the first time. OMG! About halfway through I felt a little nauseous and had to step out of the room for a minute, but after that I was ok. While it’s not pleasant, the heat really is great for loosening up tight muscles, and even though it’s really intense, I never felt sick again. Best of all, since this studio has a bunch of different yoga styles, I can choose whether or not I want to get cooked.

I got really out of shape and gained a lot of weight in NZ, so undoing the damage has been a big priority. Along with daintily nibbling at the idea of starting my job search. And doing the taxes (extensions only last so long). And getting to know my way around so I don’t get lost every time I go out. And unpacking boxes & getting the house organized. And – I guess that’s how time got away from me in July.

Cheers,
Sandie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home