Sunday, January 29, 2006

Year of the Dog

I've read that Chinese astrologers are predicting this Year of the Dog will bring disease, war, and natural disasters. Read any news lately? They might as well have 'predicted' death and taxes would continue.

I've been doing a poor job so far with my New Year's resolution to keep up my blog. Fortunately, the lunar calendar gives me another crack at making a fresh start in the New Year. And if things don't work out this time, I can try again when Persian New Year rolls around in March. Ain't multicultaralism great?!?!?!

Now that I've fully recovered from the holidays, I'm now trying to lose the extra 2-1/2 kilos I put on while Apameh the Temptress was offering to get Burger Fuel every time I got too busy to cook. A couple weeks ago, Ali and I agreed to a friendly weight loss challenge. My official goal is to drop 5 kilos by the time I finish my LLM degree in June. Not being one to set 'unrealistic goals' when it comes to weight loss, I'll be happy to lose half of it by then - especially if I can drop the rest by the end of the year. (Yes, those would be the same 5 pounds I've been trying to lose since Bush became president. Bush senior, that is.)

Anyway, the last couple weeks I've been spending some extra time in the gym. And this should get a little easier to do since I was informed last week that enrollments - particularly Chinese international students - are way down and the Employment Law class I was supposed to be teaching has been cancelled. Since I haven't gotten my new teaching assignment yet, I've been able to enjoy the illusion of extra free time, during which I've been trying to get caught up with stuff - such as organizing pictures. Hence, the last entry. Now I've got a selection of pictures from last Thanksgiving when our friends Ashish and Anjali came to visit. (Click View Shutterfly Album to see them.)

Hope you're not having a dog of a year, but even if you are, hang in there. I predict that a new chance for a fresh start is just around the corner.

Cheers,
Sandie

2 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the words of my friend, the lawyer in Beijing, "Year of the Dog is a good sign - dog is a friendly character that gets along well with people. May the Year of the Dog bring much happiness and good health to us all!" So like so many things in life, it's open to lots of different interpretations. Happy New Year and Happy Groundhogs' Day! Incidentally, Punxatawny Phil saw his shadow this morning, after which the event morphed into a Steelers rally. -- Stephanie B.

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? after 5 days still no comments on these wonderful pictures? how long did it get to upload them? I bet the whole nite.
Thank you should abbreviate all the work you guys did for this reunion.
Please don't forget to mention where cap palliser and the pinacles are, I'd love to visit these nice places some time, maybe in between 2 grant proposals, what a waste of time.
See you soon,
A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home