Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bad News, Good News

After the teaching training workshops, I started last week feeling pretty excited about the new school year starting. Although they cancelled the Employment Law class I was supposed to teach, I was all set to jump into whatever other teaching assignments they had for me. My bubble was quickly burst, however, when I talked with my HOD (head of department), and found out the same budget crisis that caused Employment Law to be cancelled has severely hurt my odds of landing a full-time job when I finish my LLM.

I barely had time to get bummed about it, however, when I got an email saying that one of my papers from last term has been accepted for publication. It's "only" a post-grad student publication, but I'm delighted. And getting a little taste of the editorial process. Besides having to recheck all (and correct many) of my footnotes, reformatting to the journal's style is confirming my suspicion that Word is, in fact, the work of the devil. The mysterious and evil things it does to my text have kept me working late every night for a week.

Speaking of evil mysteries, we may never know how W ever became president, much less how he got re-elected. But if he hadn't, we wouldn't be able to enjoy one of the funniest presidential videos in history.

Cheers,
Sandie

1 Comments:

At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one is also a good one:

Science 3 March 2006:
Vol. 311. no. 5765, pp. 1301 - 1303
DOI: 10.1126/science.1121448

Altruistic Helping in Human Infants and Young Chimpanzees
Felix Warneken* and Michael Tomasello

Human beings routinely help others to achieve their goals, even when the helper receives no immediate benefit and the person helped is a stranger. Such altruistic behaviors (toward non-kin) are extremely rare evolutionarily, with some theorists even proposing that they are uniquely human. Here we show that human children as young as 18 months of age (prelinguistic or just-linguistic) quite readily help others to achieve their goals in a variety of different situations. This requires both an understanding of others' goals and an altruistic motivation to help. In addition, we demonstrate similar though less robust skills and motivations in three young chimpanzees.

Department of Developmental and Comparative Psychology, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Deutscher Platz 6, 04103 Leipzig, Germany.

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: warneken@eva.mpg.de

 

Post a Comment

<< Home